The same training content offered in the live classes is available as on-demand web videos, with accompanying exercises using your choice of Visio-based or cloud/browser-based tools. Get full BPMN training based on Bruce Silver’s proven Method and Style approach in a convenient self-paced format, complete with individualized post-class certification. You’ll learn three things in the class:
- The vocabulary of BPMN, the shapes and symbols, divided into Level 1 and Level 2 working sets. Level 1 – officially recognized by OMG as the BPMN “Descriptive” modeling subclass – uses a limited palette of BPMN shapes and symbols, familiar to business users from traditional flowcharting. Level 2 – the Analytic subclass – leverages an expanded palette, including intermediate events, for specifying exception handling important to executable process design.
- The Method, a systematic approach to turning your notes gathered from stakeholder workshops and interviews into a properly structured digital asset that communicates clearly to all stakeholders – even other project teams, business and IT.
- BPMN Style, conventions that help ensure the meaning of the process logic is clear from the printed diagrams on their own, even to those who don’t already know it. These conventions are framed as additional rules that are validated by the tools we use in this class, ViziModeler from itp commerce or the Trisotech BPMN Modeler.
Who Is the Intended Audience?
Contrary to popular belief, BPMN is not “too complicated” for business users. It does not require a technical background, just a disciplined approach and attention to detail. Our student population is about evenly split between business users on one side and business analysts and architects on the other. The Method and Style approach we teach is oriented to the business analyst/architect, who uses BPMN to communicate process logic both to stakeholders in both the line of business and IT. You’ll learn the shapes and symbols you need to know, and which ones you can ignore, as well as a step-by-step methodology and “style rules” that help ensure the process logic is clear from the printed diagram alone.
Two Versions, Common Content
We now offer two different versions in the web/on-demand format. Each uses a different tool, but the content and certification are the same. Registration for the ViziModeler version is through the BPMessentials.com website. Click here to register, item wtc.03. Registration for the Trisotech version is through methodandstyle.com. Click here to register for that.
What Does the Training Include?
The web/on-demand training includes the following:
- Approximately 10-15 hours of instruction, assuming you do all the exercises
- 60-day use of BPMN tool, either itp commerce or Trisotech
- In-class exercises using the tool, with interactive discussion of the solutions
- “Watch me do this” screencam videos to explain the mechanics of the tool
- PDF student notes
- Post-class certification based on an online exam plus a mail-in exercise, involving one-on-one interaction with Bruce Silver
- What Is BPMN?
- BPMN by Example
- Concepts and the Method
- BPMN Style
- Parallel Flow
- Following the Rules
- Certification and Beyond